Eastern Construction is defined by the dependability of the sun rising. THINK FORWARD. RISE ABOVE. Those words reflect the daily philosophy by which we work at Eastern Construction. With every project we undertake, we do so with the understanding that we have the vision, knowledge, skills and ability to generate innovative solutions that consistently exceed client expectations.
As an employee-owned company, we take great pride in our work and our successes are consistently rewarded by our clients through repeat business. Strong leadership, innovative thinking and a solutions-focused approach are a winning combination that has served us well throughout our history. Our success lies in our ability as a team to blend our diverse expertise to deliver the best possible outcomes for our clients.
The Health and Safety Coordinator work(s) directly under the Health & Safety Manager and assist(s) to ensure that work is carried out in accordance with the OHSA, construction regulations, and the Eastern Safety program.
- Identify problem areas and training requirements for various projects
- Promotes and facilitates educational session(s) as required
- Assists in project mobilization to ensure all records, documentation and postings are developed and maintained
- Assists in completing site inspections, report submissions and following up with site compliance as needed.
- Recommends improvements to the Eastern Safety policy and assists in implementing Best Practices.
- At assigned projects ensures safety guidelines, policies and procedures are adhered to by all employees, contractors and visitors and are in compliance with latest Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and all regulatory requirements, especially Construction Regulations 213/91.
- Promotes the Hazard and Near Miss Identification process and analyzes accident information, by identifying trends and key problem areas and communicating them to the Health & Safety Manager and/or the Central Safety Committee in a timely manner. Is an active member of the Health & Safety Team to develop innovative solutions to promote involvement in health and safety programs.
- Promotes and facilitates health and safety training and education and observes work practices to supports needs assessments.
- Ensure Eastern Constructions policies and procedures regarding the completion of required documentation are adhered to in order to comply with OHSA, regulatory requirements and the Eastern Construction Health & Safety Program for record keeping requirements
Education, Experience And Skills
- Certificate/Diploma/Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Knowledge of and experience with OHSA and Regulations for Construction
- 1-3 years prior experience in a similar role and industry
- NCSO Certification or working towards it/willing to acquire it
- COR Internal Auditor Certification or working towards it/willing to acquire it
- Other Safety designations and training may be considered
- Multiple projects as assigned and Head Office, must have access to a vehicle