The University of Toronto Schools has a long standing reputation as an educational provider in Toronto.  Established in 1906, UTS became an independent not-for-profit school affiliated with the University of Toronto in 2006.  In 2018 UTS selected Eastern as the Construction Manager to undertake a major redevelopment of the facility.  Designed under the leadership of UTS alumni Don Schmitt ’70 and Birgit Siber of Diamond Schmitt Architects, the project includes the restoration of heritage facades, interior renovation of the historical East Wing, and a new addition representing a 33% increase in usable space from 90,000 sq. ft. to 120,000 sq. ft.  Major design features include:

  • Skylight atrium connecting the renovation and addition with amphitheatre seating
  • 700 seat Auditorium
  • Black Box Theatre/Drama Classroom
  • Library and Learning Commons
  • Athletic spaces including full size double gymnasium, changerooms, cardio/weight room and physical therapy space
  • Multipurpose room
  • Specialized classrooms for music, art and science
  • Media Lab and creativity Maker Studios
  • Refashioned Huron Street entrance with an urban plaza
  • Restoration of our heritage-protected façade

“UTS alumni are living proof that the finest facility doesn’t mean a better education. However… once every 100 years or so, it is essential that we update the physical property!”  Al Fleming ’54, Former Principal, UTS

 

Additional Photos