Eastern Construction is defined by the dependability of the sun rising. THINK FORWARD. RISE ABOVE. Those words reflect the daily philosophy by which we work at Eastern Construction. With every project we undertake, we do so with the understanding that we have the vision, knowledge, skills and ability to generate innovative solutions that consistently exceed client expectations.
As an employee-owned company, we take great pride in our work and our successes are consistently rewarded by our clients through repeat business. Strong leadership, innovative thinking and a solutions-focused approach are a winning combination that has served us well throughout our history. Our success lies in our ability as a team to blend our diverse expertise to deliver the best possible outcomes for our clients.
The Health & Safety Coordinator will work directly under the Health & Safety Manager and assist to ensure that work is carried out in accordance with the OHSA, construction regulations, and the Eastern Safety program.
- Identifies problem areas and training requirements for various projects
- Promotes and facilitates educational session as required
- Assists in project mobilization to ensure all records, documentation and postings are developed and maintained
- Assists in completing site inspections, report submissions and following up with site compliance as needed.
- Recommends improvements to the Eastern Safety policy and assist in implementing Best Practices.
- Compliance: At assigned projects ensures safety guidelines, policies and procedures are adhered to by all employees, contractors and visitors and are in compliance with latest Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and all regulatory requirements, especially Construction Regulations 213/91.
- Worksite Analysis and Accident Prevention: Takes a proactive approach, promotes the Hazard and Near Miss Identification process and analyzes accident information, by identifying trands and key problem areas and communicating them to the Sr. Health & Safety Manager and/or the Central Safety Committee in a timely manner. Is an active member of the Health & Safety Team to develop innovative solutions to promote involvement in health and safety programs.
- Training: Promotes and facilitates health and safety training and education and observes work practices to supports needs assessments.
- Record Keeping and Reporting: Ensure Eastern Constructions policies and procedures regarding the completion of required documentation are adhered to in order to comply with OHSA, regulatory requirements and the Eastern Construction Health & Safety Program for record keeping requirements.
LEADERSHIP & RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT:
- Leadership: Motivates all project stakeholders to work towards achieving zero lost time injuries and work related illnesses through morale building, resource coordination and fostering a strong and uniform safety culture within the organization.
- Listening, Understanding & Responding: Listens well, seeks to understand and responds appropriately to the concerns of others by being receptive to new information, seeking out the facts before drawing conclusions and showing a willingness to see things from another person’s perspective. After assessing the issue, takes the appropriate action to achieve resolution via verbal and/or written communication.
- Problem Solving & Conflict Resolution: Ability to break down problems & manage conflict by effectively dealing with issues in a professional manner. Able to proactively seek out solutions and escalate issues when needed.
- Confidence & Ownership: Presents him/herself in a confident and professional manner and takes ownership of issues and challenges as they arise. Able to make decisions accepting that they may be difficult or unpopular when called upon and is decisive and assertive when needed.
JOB KNOWLEDGE & TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Health & Safety: Working knowledge of the OHSA & Regulations, Eastern Constructions Health & Safety Program and a Competent Supervisor as defined by the OHSA. Ability to promote and enforce Health & Safety policies and implement procedures with a “Zero “ tolerance stance in order to ensure a safe workplace.
- Communication: Ensures professional, accurate, thorough and timely communication with respect to reports, legislative changes/requirements and follow up from safety audits and inspections.
- Computer Skills: Ability to proficiently use email and Microsoft Office to maintain the Health & Safety database and effectively communicate to all stakeholders
INITIATIVE & SELF MANAGEMENT:
- Results Orientated: Sets goals and prioritizes in order to maximize the use of resources to deliver the Health and Safety Program. Maintain focus on the “big picture” and makes recommendations for improving work flow/methods or operations to improve performance and the delivery of the Health & Safety Program. Able to foresee emerging issues and identifies and manages all the associated risk.
- Problem Solving & Conflict Resolution: Ability to break down problems and manage conflict through mediation by effectively dealing with issues in a professional manner. Able to proactively seek solutions and escalating issues when needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Education: Post-Secondary Education preferably in an Industry related discipline or equivalent work experience. NCSO or Gold Seal Designation an asset or working towards achieving is an asset.
- Experience: Minimum Two years’ experience in Health & Safety within the construction industry and a good understanding of the construction process. Knowledge and understanding of Company and Industry Health & Safety best practices, processes and performance standards.
3. Knowledge of COR Audit Status or knowledgeable in program or working towards COR certification
- Work Location: Project Site(s) based out of Hamilton and surrounding area. Some travel to Head Office and or projects in Toronto (GTA).
We thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Eastern is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the accessibility needs of people with disabilities and will provide accommodation upon request.